Saturday, October 20, 2012

First Generation...stuck in it

..ok, am in the middle of writing a $25 million dollar grant for NE TN schools and the issue of exposure to a different kind of life keeps coming up. My brain is a bit stuck on what that looks like to students- for me it is the cold and often snowy path to the Kenyon College Library and dusty stacks, and reading, reading, reading, reading things often that I didn't understand.

Which is why the following documentary looks very interesting: First Generation: A documentary Narrated by Golden Globe nominee Blair Underwood, FIRST GENERATION tells the story of four high school students - an inner city athlete, a small town waitress, a Samoan warrior dancer, and the daughter of migrant field workers - who set out to break the cycle of poverty and bring hope to their families and communities by pursuing a college education.
Shot over the course of three years and featuring some of our nation's top educational experts (Richard Kahlenberg, The Century Foundation; J.B. Schramm, College Summit; Dr. Bill Tierney, University of Southern California), this 95 minute documentary explores the problem of college access faced by first generation and low-income students and how their success has major implications for the future of our nation.

I am fortunate I stuck it out in college (a few times...) but, more than anything I feel one of my life accomplishments is that I could provide support to helping my daughter finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment